Claim your tax refund

Get your free no obligation claim pack

This FREE tax rebate estimate is provided by Online Tax Rebates, part of Uniform Benefits – a service dedicated to saving you time and money.

MOD Tax Rebate Claims

You could be owed a £2,500 tax refund for your travel expenses. Bases outside the UK are included, and you might also be able to claim for Mess Dress.

This is a complex claim and we’ve heard reports of some claims being rejected when submitted by inexperienced advisors. For that reason we would like to refer you to our expert partners who have obtained confirmation on the validity of claims both from HMRC and the MOD so you can have peace of mind that your refund is yours to keep when you receive it.

If you complete the form below our partners will be in touch shortly about your free without obligation assessment.

Have you completed Phase 1 Training?

Have you been posted to a base for 2 years or less? (Excluding tours)

Did you use your own vehicle or public transport to get to those bases?

Based on the information you provided above, you won't be able to make a claim at this time.

Based on a sample of past refunds we have obtained matching the details you have provided:

Largest refund received: £-

Average refund received: £-


Total claims


Successful claims

< 2

Minutes to claim

What our customers think

Each tax year will be recalculated if you enter a claim. This often identifies other overpayments due to incorrect tax codes, multiple employments, ceasing of job, etc. In these cases we can identify a much larger tax rebate. We regularly identify rebates of over £1,000 for customers who were originally estimated a lower amount.

If you claim now you will receive tax relief for the current tax year and future years that allowances continue to apply, paid through your monthly pay. The value of this is usually £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year.

You don’t need to make any upfront payment to us in order for us to check if you are due a rebate.

We will ensure that your current year reliefs are correct and that your future year allowances are adjusted in line with the current year to ensure you are no longer being overtaxed. There will be no charge for this service.

The annual saving of £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year for the current and future years will not be subject to charge. You will receive this automatically in your pay once your tax code has been adjusted.

We will also check the earlier years to determine if you can claim back any previously overpaid tax. HMRC will pay any rebate due directly to us and we will forward payment to you, in due course, net of our deductions of 28%, plus VAT, where due, providing the net refund payment is £20 or more.

We will issue your refund through our Uniform Benefits payment card which you can withdraw cash on at a cashpoint or spend in shops or online like a normal debit card. If you use your card at selected retailers you can also earn additional cashback to continue to spend.

MOD Claim | About you

Select the tax years when you were employed in the specified sector
Do you or your accountant already prepare a self-assessment tax return?

Are you currently married or in a civil partnership?

As you are not UK resident we will need to refer your claim to our specialist partners who will be able to assess & process your claim. When you click 'Next >' below, we will forward your details and a specialist advisor will be in touch shortly.


Have you paid subscriptions to any of the following?

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner,

Self Assessment Taxpayers

You could have overpaid tax by £{{ App.CustomerClaim.EstimatedClaim }} if the tax relief you listed was not claimed on your earlier returns.

As you are already within self assessment we would like to send you details of a highly competitive self assessment service from one of our expert partners. They can correct omissions in your earlier tax returns and ensure your annual returns are submitted on time every year, saving you a lot of stress and making sure you only pay the tax you need to.

Going forward the correct allowances applied to each annual return could save you £{{ App.CustomerClaim.AnnualRefund }} per year.

If you complete the form below our partners will be in touch shortly about your free without obligation assessment.

About you

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner, Rift Group

Please sign in the box below using your finger or your mouse

Thank you

Thanks for showing an interest in claiming your tax rebate.

We have passed your details to our partner, Thandi Nicholls Limited Chartered Accountants

Confirm your details

About your last 3 jobs

Enter details of your last 3 jobs in the past 5 years.

Job {{index+1}} (optional)


Final Details

In order to process your claim we will need your National Insurance Number and your phone number.
National Insurance Number (eg AA 123456 B)


Please fill in the details of your selected subscriptions. Suggested subscription payments are based on typical rates. Edit these if your payments were different.

{{ sub.Name }}
{{ ty.Name }}


Please fill in the details of any other relevant expenses. Up to 5 extra expenses can be added here.

{{ ty.Name }}

Thanks! You have completed your claim

Your unique claim reference is ZUR{{ App.CustomerClaim.ClaimId }}

Please make a note of this reference or print this page as you will need your claim number if you return later to download your claim documents.

You will have been sent an email to confirm your documents have been generated, but for security reasons we do not send your documents by email.

IMPORTANT – we will keep you up to date about the progress of your claim by email. Please do the following to ensure you receive our emails:

  1. Check your email now to see if you have received an email from us.
  2. If no email is there please check your 'spam' and 'promotions' folders and move any email from us to your main inbox.

Your claim documents will be automatically sent to you by post. You should receive them within 2 weeks.

In order to progress your claim you MUST complete the ALL the documents we send you and post them as described on the checklist you will receive. Failure to return the documents relating to your claim will result in your claim not being processed.

Emergency Tax Guide

06 December 2018 - 16:38 by Daniel

What is emergency tax, why does it matter and how can you correct it to get your hard-earned money back? Find out all you need to know here.

What is emergency tax?

An emergency tax rate occurs when your employer doesn’t know what tax code you should be on. This normally happens when you leave a job and join a new one without a p45 to give to your new employer. It can also happen when you are working for an employer after being self-employed, getting company benefits, or a state pension.

Why does emergency tax matter?

Being on an emergency tax rate can tax you up to 50% of your wages. Sounds scary. But the good thing is that this is only temporary and can be corrected. The first step to finding out if you are on emergency tax is knowing what tax code to look out for.

How does emergency tax work?

Normally when the tax you owe is calculated under Pay As You Earn (PAYE) the following information is considered:

  • Tax paid in the tax year to date
  • Which tax brackets your earnings fall into
  • Personal allowances

Under emergency tax this information isn’t available to your employer so the tax that you pay is based on the assumption either that you were previously earning the same as you are in your new job or that you’ve used up all of your tax allowances.

What are the emergency tax codes?

There are a few different emergency tax codes you could be on. These are indicated by the following references on your payslip.

  • W1
  • M1
  • X
  • BR
  • OT

If you have these tax codes, then you are on emergency tax and you may have overpaid. Luckily, getting back on the correct tax code and removing the emergency tax rate is relatively easy to do.

How do I correct my tax code?

To correct your emergency tax code that you’ve been given, all you have to do is provide your employer with your p45. If you do not have your p45 then your employer will give you a document called a ‘starter checklist’ to fill out. Once you have provided one of these then your tax code will automatically update with your correct tax. If you are still on an emergency tax code after this you can correct it by putting a claim in through our rebate calculator.

I’ve corrected my emergency tax rate, now what?

Once you have followed the steps above about correcting amending your emergency tax rate, you may be entitled to a tax refund.

When does emergency tax get paid back?

Once your new employer has processed your p45 and you are not on the emergency tax rate then the amount you were wrongly taxed on before should be paid automatically. If this does not happen, enter a claim though our rebate calculator.

Depending on how long you have had the emergency tax rate, it could vary. It all depends on how long you have had the emergency tax code on your name.

Depending on your role, you may also be able to claim tax relief on other items, such as your uniform or work tools. Use our rebate calculator to find out what you may be able to claim.